Scottish Football League 1960-1961
In 1955 the Scottish Football League returned to a two tier structure with the withdrawal of the reserve sides. The first teams competing in the old "C" division moved into the enlarged Second Division with 19 clubs while the First Division was expanded to 18 clubs. Celtic and Rangers no longer enjoyed a monopoly of the championship: Hibernian, Hearts and Aberdeen all flew the First Division flag during the decade.
Modern lightweight kits arrived in the late fifties although most clubs retained long sleeved shirts during the winter months. After the conservative 1950s some innovative designs began to appear, particularly vertical candy stripes and shirts with a pair of bands.