Historical Football Kits


English FA Cup Finalists 1970 - 1979

sunderland 1973 fa cup winnersArsenal appeared in four finals during the Seventies while Manchester United and Liverpool each competed in three. Remarkably, no Second Division clubs had reached the final since 1932 but three teams from this level featured in finals during this decade, two of them winning the trophy including Sunderland (left) who scored a remarkable victory against Leeds, then at their peak.

Branded kit appeared for the first time during this period.


1969 - 1970

Chelsea 2 Leeds United 2 (Extra time played)

venue Wembley Stadium
date 11 April 1970

For the first time since the final moved to Wembley, the match finished all square after extra time. Leeds were the better organised in a game full of spirit. Wembley's normally perfect pitch had been ruined by an equestrian event and was wet and badly torn up. After 15 minutes Jack Charlton headed the ball downwards towards Eddie McCreadie, waiting to clear off the line but the ball failed to bounce on the heavy pitch and rolled under the defender's foot. Houseman equalised just before the break when Sprake allowed his shot to pass through his arms. When Jones put Leeds ahead again after 84 minutes the game seemed to be over but Hutchinson headed home two minutes later. Both sides were exhausted from their exertions on the heavy pitch and there was no further scoring.



Chelsea 2 Leeds United 1 (Extra time played)

venue Old Trafford , Manchester
date 29 April 1970

The replay was marred by rough play, Leeds dominating for long periods. United went ahead and seemed to be cruising but Chelsea equalised with 12 minutes to play. In the first period of extra-time Chelsea went ahead for the first time. They held on to win, bringing the four hour marathon to an end.



Arsenal 2 Liverpool 1 (Extra time played)

venue Wembley Stadium
date 8 May 1971

Arsenal equalled their North London rivals achievement by achieving the "Double" but it was a close run thing. Liverpool dominated the first half with their relentless attacking style while Arsenal always looked dangerous on the counter-attack. The Gunners had three good chances but there were no goals at full-time. Two minutes into the first period of extra time, Liverpool went ahead. Kelly then equalised nine minutes later and in the second period, Charlie George scored one of the great Wembley goals, an unstoppable drive from 25 yards.

Liverpool had the Umbro diamond embroidered on their shorts, the first time that a maker's logo had apeared in an FA Cup final.


1971 - 1972

Leeds United 1 Arsenal 0

venue Wembley Stadium
date 6 May 1972

Arsenal returned to Wembley to defend the trophy where they met the Leeds team near its peak. The Yorkshire side were the better team throughout and in the 53rd minute Clarke headed home for the only goal of the game. Tempers became frayed and four players were booked.


1972 - 1973

Sunderland 1 Leeds United 0

venue Wembley Stadium
date 5 May 1973

Cup holders Leeds fielded ten internationals, had experience at the top of the First Division and in Europe while Sunderland on the other hand were struggling in the Second Division and considered no-hopers. When Porterfield scored after half-an-hour it came as a surprise but there seemed plenty of time for Leeds to recover. As time ticked by, however, Leeds looked increasingly desperate and when Montgomery, in the Sunderland goal, diverted a thunderbolt from Lorimer onto the underside of the bar and the ball bounced clear, it was obviously not going to be Leeds' day. Sunderland became the first Division Two club in forty years to have won the cup. (In the second half Leeds' captain, Bremner, wore a short sleeved shirt with crew neck.)


1973 - 1974

Liverpool 3 Newcastle United 0

venue Wembley Stadium
date 4 May 1974

Newcastle returned to Wembley 19 years after their last appearance with the fervent hopes of their Geordie following behind them. In the first half they held their own but Liverpool were doing what they did best, absorbing everything their opponents could throw at them before taking control. In the second half, with Malcolm "Supermac" MacDonald, Newcastle's flamboyant striker completely subdued, Liverpool changed up a gear and completely demolished the opposition.


1974 - 1975

West Ham United 2 Fulham 0

venue Wembley Stadium
date 3 May 1975

The second all-London final involved two teams that had had an undistinguished season. The Hammers had won only 13 of their 42 games in the First Division while Fulham had managed only a point a game in their Second Division campaign. Fulham had two former England captains in their side, Alan Mullery and Bobby Moore, who had won a Cup Winner's medal with West Ham eleven years before. The first half passed with few incidents but in the second half, West Ham gradually took control. Two goals in four minutes settled the issue.


1975 - 1976

Southampton 1 Manchester United 0

venue Wembley Stadium
date 1 May 1976

Once again a Second Division side prevailed over a team that was, at least on paper, stronger. United dominated the early stages but could not penetrate a determined Southampton defence. With seven minutes to go Stokes ran onto a through pass from McCalliog to drive the ball home for the decisive goal. Southampton unveiled their radically new change kit, designed by Admiral, for the occasion.


1976 - 1977

Manchester United 2 Liverpool 1

venue Wembley Stadium
date 21 May 1977

The two top teams in England met in an eagerly awaited final. Liverpool were in pursuit of a treble, League Championship, European Cup and FA Cup while United were determined to make amends for their defeat at Southampton's hands. The first half was absorbing but did not produce any goals. In the second half, the game came to life: United went ahead on 50 minutes but Liverpool equalised within two minutes. Three minutes after that, Macari's shot was deflected off Greenhoff and looped into the net for the winner.


1977 - 1978

Ipswich Town 1 Arsenal 0

venue Wembley Stadium
date 6 May 1978

Arsenal started strongly but as the time passed, Ipswich gradually came into the game. In the second half they went close three times, hitting the post twice and had another effort brilliantly saved by Jennings. Finally Ipswich scored the winning goal after Geddis beat two defenders before sending over a low cross for Osborne to score from ten yards.


1978 - 1979

Arsenal 3 Manchester United 2

venue Wembley Stadium
date 12 May 1979

Arsenal returned to Wembley in their yellow change shirts and appeared to be cruising to an easy 2-0 victory with only five minutes remaining when the match exploded into life. First McQueen scored for United following a free-kick and moments later McIlroy equalised. United were still celebrating when Rix sent over a curling cross to the far post where Sunderland shot home for the last-minute winner.

The 1960s | FA Cup Finals | The 1980s